Skip to Main Content

Personal and Pet Health

As lovely as flowers are, certain varieties can pose a risk in the right conditions. We want you to make the most informed decision possible when selecting the right arrangement! It is important on the part of both the sender and the recipient to take sufficient care to avoid any accidents. Please read below to make sure you’re protecting your loved ones and pets from potentially dangerous situations.

General rules to follow for safety with flower arrangements:
1. Keep all floral arrangements off of the ground and a reasonable distance away from edges or corners. This is especially important in spaces where pets and children are present. Flowers should be out of reach of children and pets at all times.
2. If you suspect an adult, child, or pet has consumed any portion of a floral arrangement or plant, including any plant matter (flowers, petals, stems, leaves, roots, etc.), floral foam, container, soil, or decoration, contact the American Association of Poison Control Centers at 1-800-222-1222 or a trusted health care professional. In emergencies, dial 9-1-1.
3. Take caution when handling flowers and plants, as they may carry thorns, sap, burr-like seeds, pesticides, fertilizer, or other irritants.
Poisonous and Harmful Plants
Pets are very sensitive to contact with plants and are, unfortunately, very curious about them. Take plenty of caution when introducing a new plant or bouquet to your home.
  • Pets can be poisoned by plants and flowers through physical contact, chewing or ingesting any part of              the flower/plant, and even just from drinking the water in a vase containing the flower. Supervision and prevention are essential.
  • Common flowers/plants that are toxic and cause illness in cats and dogs: babys breath, callas hydrangea, iris, peace lily (spathiphyllum), alstroemeria (peruvian lily), daisies, boxwood, holly, poinsettia, tulips, yarrow, azaleas, rhododendrons, chrysanthemums, kalanchoe, and mistletoe
  • Common flowers/plants that are toxic and life-threatening in cats and dogs: foxglove, larkspur, lily of the valley, amaryllis, and lilies (tiger, day, Asiatic, Easter, Stargazer, etc.)
  • Take your pet to their veterinarian if your pet is displaying any of the following symptoms: skin irritation or rash, mouth irritation, drooling, gagging, foaming at the mouth, pawing at the mouth, vomiting, digestive upset, lack of appetite, lethargy, swollen belly, diarrhea, constipation, and restlessness. If you go to the vet, it is very helpful to include the variety of flower/plant that may have been ingested to get the best treatment.
  • Pets, like humans, can have allergies and sensitivities to any variety of flower. If your pet is not acting normally just after introducing a new arrangement/plant to your home, it is best to remove the flowers/plant and seek the advice of a veterinarian.
Many of the same flowers that are dangerous for dogs also apply to children.It is important to remember that even flowers that are considered safe to have around children can pose risks in the form of choking or consuming high quantities. Contact with certain flowers/plants is also dangerous due to the thorns, sharp leaves, sap, juices, burr-like seeds, and other natural defense mechanisms of plants. Always exercise caution with children and plants.
In the event your child consumes a plant that may be poisonous, contact the American Association of Poison Control Centers at 1-800-222-1222. In emergencies, dial 9-1-1.
Allergies and Fragrance Sensitivities
Those with mild, seasonal, pollen-based allergies should generally avoid:
  • Chrysanthemums
  • Daisies
  • Goldenrod (solidago)
  • Sunflowers
Keep in mind that more severe allergic reactions are also possible with flowers. Avoid varieties you know you or the recipient are allergic to.
Some people are also very sensitive to flowers with strong fragrances, such as lilies. In some cases, they can cause headaches and irritation.
Glass Vases and Containers
Use caution when handling glassware vases, baskets, and potted plants.
Our glass vases tend to be delicate and ornate, requiring careful handling. They have very thin layers of glass, which can shatter easily if it is given an abrupt landing. Be careful of the weight and size of the bouquet. Move slowly while holding the vase. Always hold the vase with both hands. Set it down gently and evenly.
Our planters and dish gardens may be heavier than they seem. Use good judgement when lifting and placing them. Small misjudgments can lead to avoidable accidents.